Fruits and vegetables, in general, are an excellent nutrition source for both humans and dogs. Unfortunately, not all fruits are edible to dogs. Even though grapes and raisins appear in most of our favorite snacks, they are toxic to dogs.
Their effect may not be the same to all dogs, but their danger is unavoidable. So if you are still wondering, “Can dogs eat grapes and raisins?” the answer would be “No” for their best sake.
This article will explain more about the toxicity concerns of grapes and raisins to dogs, what signs your dogs may have when accidentally eating them, and how to treat them in time.
Let’s dive in!
Can Dog Eat Grapes?
All grapes are toxic to dogs despite their colors and types: red, green, purple, seed, or seedless. You should remove grapes from your dog's diet at all costs.
It’s essential to keep grapes out of your dog’s reach at all times. You also need to inform your family members or visitors about not feeding your dogs with grapes or any products containing or made from grapes.
Even a small amount of grape toxicity can cause kidney damage leading to sudden kidney failure in dogs. And if you also wonder, can dogs eat grape leaves? It's also a big "No." Grape leaves contain a cyanide compound which can also cause fatal health issues to your dogs.
Unfortunately, the exact toxic dose of grapes that can affect dogs' health remains unknown. It's unlikely one or two grapes can cause a problem in medium dogs since every dog is sensitive to grapes differently. Yet, for small dogs like a chihuahua, eating two grapes may be enough to cause their health at risk.
You also may wonder, since fresh grapes are dangerous, can dogs eat grape jelly? Well, the answer is still “No.” Although grape jellies, grape juice, and wine don’t appear to be harmful to your dogs, those contain a lot of sugar and corn syrups, causing diabetes and obesity in dogs.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
Technically raisins are just dehydrated grapes, so they are still as toxic as grapes to our dogs.
Some new dog owners or visitors may wonder can dogs eat raisin bread or raisin cookies or not. Unfortunately, that small amount of raisins are toxic enough to cause the fatal issue to your dogs without you even realizing it.
Plus, many of us keep raisins in ziplock bags as mid-day snacks and accidentally leave them on a counter or table. As long as it’s within your dog’s reach, they may attempt to try it since they observe your behavior and recognize that fruit is tasty.
Symptoms of Grapes and Raisins Toxicity in Dogs
Within the first 24 hours, the first and obvious symptom when your dog suffers food toxicity is vomiting. Here are more common signs you should notice when your dog has one of them.
- Loss appetite
- Vomiting or/and diarrhea
- Dehydration (you can check by pulling the skin of your dog's back neck if they don’t spring right back, your dog is dehydrated)
- Weakness, tiredness
- Abnormal pain
- Kidney failure
Safe Treatment Options
Right when you find out your dog just consumes grapes or raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately, and they may suggest inducing vomiting for your dogs.
In addition, contact the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435 in case your dog ingests something toxic, and you don’t know how to handle the situation, especially first-time dog parents.